Friday, July 8, 2011

The Mystery and Melancholy of a Street




















After I shot the photograph on the left, I realized that I had subconsciously been thinking of De Chirico's painting that I had seen and admired years ago at a museum. I was always intrigued by his work and his titles and this one stayed with me. I am not aware at the time I am shooting, but de Chirico's images are visually templated in my imagination. Subconsciously, when I saw this view of a deserted industrial street in Binghamton, New York, the de Chirico kicked in. In his book, "The Ongoing Moment," writer Geof Dyer explores the fact that visual artists build off each other and continue the image. This is true for photographers who view all picture making and who emulate the things that they admire from each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment